Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day & Junk to Funk



It's a double whammy: Art and Environmentalism, with a splash of Fashion. Blog Action Day meets Junk to Funk. Write to raise awareness of environmental action. Make clothes to raise awareness of environmental action. I'm a big fan of micro-action, action on a personal level. And I'm a big fan of art. And, let's face it, I love clothes. So, this is perfect. This is my Junk to Funk entry, using reclaimed materials (the thread and the snaps are new - everything else is recycled). I've got used bicycle inner tubes, an old bicycle reflector, and funny rubber bands from SCRAP; shrunken sweaters and faded t-shirts from Goodwill, vintage buttons and jewelry findings from an estate sale. Traditionally, art materials are chemical intensive, and the cotton industry puts more pesticides and pollutants into the ecosystem than any other crop. Art garments from reclaimed materials? What could be cooler? Oh, of course. A Carmen Miranda hat made from an old sweater, minus the composted fruit.

2 comments:

gl. said...

wow, that's great! i so want to see a picture of someone wearing it!

Bridget said...

Ah, yes - I sized it to fit a friend of mine (I can wear it, but let's just say the top will look a lot better on her!!). The good news - if I get into the show, you'll get to see it live at Junk to Funk!

ShareThis