Oatmeal is my favorite winter breakfast food and pumpkin pie is one of my all-time favorite desserts. This recipe brings them both together in a completely yummy and wonderful way, with a texture almost like really good bread pudding. I love it warm from the oven and topped with baked apples. And it's low on the sugar and the butter, and high in fiber, so I like to pretend it's super healthy, too!
2 cups regular, not quick, oats
5 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can pumpkin puree
1 and 1/2 cups milk or soy milk
4 teaspoons butter, melted
1/2 cup pecans
4 teaspoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients
- Mix wet ingredients
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix
- Pour into greased 9 x 12 pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While it's baking, mix the topping together ingredients together and melt in the microwave. After the 10 minutes is up, add the topping. (You can also just leave it on the side)
- Bake another 7 minutes with the topping.
Credit where credit is due: This recipe is my reinterpretation of a recipe I found over here at Katie Goodman's site Goodlife Eats . . . http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2009/09/pumpkin-pie-oatmeal.html . . . If you like it be sure to pop over and give Katie Goodman some love!