Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dia De Los Muertos: Sugar Skulls


I'm starting to get excited about Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) - I'll be going down to the city of Oaxaca in Mexico this year for the celebration. Oaxaca is really well known for its art and craft. Things like wood carving, silver work, fabrics, and yes, even sugar skulls. Cathy of BossaNovaBaby taught a class last week at DIY Lounge in making sugar skulls, and I had to take it. The little ones up above are only a few inches high!


These are quite a bit bigger, maybe five, six, seven inches high! They're decorated with foil, sequins, plastic rhinestones, googly eyes, icing, silk flowers . . . just about anything I could get my hands on.

Kathy even had a Virgin of Guadalupe mold for us to play with! I had a lot of fun attempting it, though I'm not real crazy about the way it turned out . . . but I love the way the light is reflecting off of the star on the top . . .

And here's all the skulls together so you can kind of see how the sizes compare . . . If you think this is cool, Cathy's teaching another class starting October 23rd at the Alberta location. If you're not local, check out www.mexicansugarskull.com for supplies and instructions. Locally, the Decorette Shop is currently out of molds for sugar skulls, but they have ingredients for the icing and a huge variety of piping tips.

2 comments:

gl. said...

oh, that's going to be such a fun trip for you, bridget! i always think the sugar skulls are so neat.

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

that looks like a blast. I really want to make some of those this year.

ShareThis