Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Nest Head


I've certainly had days like this. Fortunately, today was not one of them. The ennui is fading, and I'm starting to feel energized again! I'm not teaching at all during January - I've got too much work scheduled for the Other Part of my Brain - so the drawing a day (along with some classes I'll be taking) will serve as my creative accountability.

And, I've got a few cool links to share!

For you Portland folks, the main library downtown is featuring a mail art show! I didn't pull it together to participate (it wasn't juried, making it a great opportunity for the entire community to participate), but am excited to visit - Diane over at DIY Alert talked about it on her Cool Places Alert blog this week, and gave some great links to learn more about mail art.

I'm also very excited about the up and coming jewelry exhibits at The Museum of Contemporary Craft here in Portland - Touching Warms the Art and Framing: The Art of Jewelry. Both look like they're set to open January 19th, but get this - visitors get to touch and even try on the jewelry created for the Touching Warms the Art exhibit - I cannot tell you how much this thrills me. I am thinking about becoming a member of the museum just so that I can crash the pre-opening gala! (Although it's not really crashing if I'm a member and have an invite, is it?) It also looks like the jewelry is made from a lot of found, recycled, and non-precious materials - something that appeals to me. I'm going to be reworking my Toolbox Jewels class into Junk Drawer Jewels - incorporating more different types of found objects into the workshop.
And last but not least, my friend Mark Silver of Heart of Business publishes an e-newsletter that is full of wonderful information for the spiritually-minded entrepreneur, folks who want to "make a difference and a profit." His newsletter this week was about creativity - and he hit on a really important point: it takes quiet time in order to turn around and have productive time. You have to allow yourself times to be fallow or to simply be quiet and reflective in order to be creative. If you want to read the whole article, go here.

And perhaps that is part of the purpose of post-holiday ennui: my mind forcing me to rest, to contemplate . . .

4 comments:

claudia said...

Love the little bird! The image makes me smile (it looks like me this morning...back to work!).

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Are you suitably addicted to Cute Overload yet? If not, let's start you off here:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/12/oh-hai.html

(The first hit is free. ;-) )

I'm pleased by the "Touching Warms The Art" show title. "Touching Harms The Art" tags can feel like such a rebuke -- I had a post-it note over my desk for a while on which I'd written, "Touching Arms The Heart." Different guitar riff -- same tune.

gl. said...

bridget, i'm so excited about the "touching warms the art" show. yay!

Michael5000 said...

Me, I think the day that the bird built a nest on my head would be a GOOD day. But that's just me.

ShareThis