Monday, September 8, 2008

The Family Fabric Stash

I'm in Boerne right now, deep in the heart of the Texas hill country, just outside of San Antonio. I'm visiting my mom, and my mom is the Keeper of the family photos - and the family fabric stash. One of the main reasons I had wanted to come back for a visit was to scan a bunch of the family photos - like this tin type of my great-great-grandmother Minnie, taken during the 1890's (we think) when she was about 10 years old.


An unexpected side benefit to this visit is the fact that mom decided to share some of the family fabric stash - including 30 12 inch quilt squares that Minnie made during the late 30's or early 40's!


I love the fabrics - and her wonderfully quirky sense of color as she put the squares together!

I wish I had more of that brown floral for a dress!


Look at the little circus tents on this one!


This one's a crazy mish-mash of fabrics and colors, but it somehow works.


And I love how these florals go together - it's nice to think that some things are hereditary!
Now, I just have to figure out what to do with the squares . . .

6 comments:

Jessica said...

These are wonderful family heirlooms. I'm a big fan of fabrics from this era. Thanks for sharing. (P.S. I was in Diane's blogging class with you. Your blog looks terrific. I'm inspired by your dedication!)

futuregirl said...

Precious! In so many ways.

Diane Gilleland said...

Wow, what amazing treasure!

Rowena said...

You may have inspired me to take photos/scans of the old photos my uncle has of our family. Some involve horses and wagons.

I wonder if I can uncover some old quilts or quit squares?

claudia said...

omg...such pretty fabric! this is wonderful :)

Michael5000 said...

Holy Crap! What an awesome score!

ShareThis