Saturday, July 25, 2009

Encaustic Experimentation: DEMO lite

I've been prepping extra samples for my Wax and Fiber class at Art Unraveled next month, and have been having a lot of fun with some lace I picked up at Knittn' Kitten. It's a huge pattern, machine-made synthetic lace, and looks like it was probably designed for curtains or something similar.

I laid down a few layers of encaustic medium (wax and resin) onto a birch plywood panel and some light colored encaustic paint (wax and resin and pigment), fusing each layer. I then burnished the lace into the surface with an old spoon. Next, I laid down some additional encaustic paint and fused it in.


Here's a close-up of what it looked like with the lace still on it:


I waited for the wax to cool a bit, then peeled the lace up. It left wonderful patterns in the wax, and I then filled those patterns in with contrasting wax. After building up more layers, fusing and scraping back, you can clearly see the bolder patterns of the lace!



I also embedded some thread in the surface for extra detail . . . . I am really loving combining wax with as many media as possible!

4 comments:

Adrianne in Portland said...

Really beautiful Bridget!

frykitty said...

Beautiful! Any chance of an image of the entire piece after the lace is removed?

I'm also playing with lace from the Kittn', embedding it in resin pendants.

I love encaustic, and really must learn it one of these days. ^After I master the dozen media I'm already fiddling with.^

futuregirl said...

Beautiful!

Bridget said...

Hey, there FryKitty - I didn't include an image of the whole thing, mostly just because none of the photos came out well!! I'll give it a go, though . . .

ShareThis